National Advisory Heart Council Initial Meeting in Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Time Period: 1948
This governing body of the newly established National Heart Institute (NIH) had the advantage of a new research policy, enthusiastic participation of national leaders, and the direction of its first Chair, the noted Boston cardiologist Paul Dudley White. It immediately set up programs for extramural research, training, and buildings in universities about the country.
Seated at the table, from the left clockwise: Dr. Tinsley R. Harrison, Col. James C. Taylor, Mr. Edwin Oreck, Mr. E. R. MacNaughton, Mrs. Mary Lasker, Surgeon General Leonard R. Scheele, Dr. Burrell O. Raulston, Dr. Paul D. White, Dr. Conrad A. Elvehjem, Mr. Maurice Goldblatt.
Seated in the row apart from the table: clockwise: Mr. Albert J. Wolf, Dr. C.J. Van Slyke, Director of NHI, Dr. Rolla E. Dyer, Director of NIH. On the right: Dr. H.M. Marvin, Cdr. R.C. Parker, Jr., Dr. T. Duckett Jones.