TA and consultation involves mutual problem-solving and collaboration on a range of issues, which may include program development, program evaluation, communications and message framing, needs assessment, and policy and guidelines formulation, as well as site visits and review/advisory functions.
Centers of Excellence in MCH Programs provide TA/consultation and subject matter expertise to the MCH field, such as supporting Title V agencies’ needs assessments and advancing selected state and national performance measures. The TA and consultation effort may be a one-time encounter or ongoing activity of brief or extended frequency depending on the needs of the state or organization, and may be geared to the needs of several states or a HRSA region.
TA is provided on an individualized basis by Center staff, faculty and/or qualified trainees. Please contact Sara Benning to discuss your needs.
Some select examples of past and present TA include:
- Research & Data Analysis:
- Conducting a needs assessment
- Conducting literature reviews
- Analyzing and / or coding qualitative data
- Reviewing existing data sets and sources
- Developing data metrics and measures for quality improvement
- Developing a monitoring processes for measures and indicators
- Directing focus groups
- Administering surveys
- Service on:
- Minnesota’s statewide MCH Advisory Task Force
- MDH’s Child and Family Health (CFH) Division’s National MCH Workforce Development Steering Committee
- The National University-based Child and Family Policy Consortium Steering Committee
- The Health Equity Work Group (HEWG)
- The Lactation Advocacy Committee
- Minnesota Mental Health Guiding Coalition
- Communications Development:
- Creating a stakeholder engagement summary and toolkit (MDH Title V)
- Developing an evidence-based strategy action plan report (MDH Division of Child and Family Health)
- Developing organization partnership plans
- Writing findings/recommendation reports based on research, experience, or presentations
- Creating interactive visualizations, fact sheets, or learning tools
- Communicating initiatives through social media venues
- Drafting elements of grant proposals
Contact us if your organization would like to utilize our expertise.
The WT Grant Foundation put together a great article, Strengthening Research Use through Technical Assistance, to describe co-created and push models of TA. While it’s specific to the Foundation, it does generally capture how we might define TA and describes how we aim to provide assistance to Title V and other professionals.